Have you ever felt pinched in your neck? Has it ever made you feel uncomfortable? Stretching the neck is something that most people don’t enjoy. However, it is an important part of keeping your entire body healthy. If you have ever felt tightness in your neck, it is most likely a result of not being able to stretch it. When your neck is not stretched, it can cause discomfort and eventually lead to injury.
With that being said, there are several neck stretches and exercises that can help you relieve discomfort. This article will talk about top neck stretches and exercises for relieving pain.
What is the Cause of Neck Pain?
Although many people try to stretch their necks, it is important to understand why your neck is so tight in the first place. The neck comprises different vertebrae that allow movement between the head and the shoulders. When you can move your neck freely, it feels very good. When it is restricted in any way, it can cause pain. The primary reason for neck pain is the inability to fully stretch your neck. This means that you cannot fully extend your neck from side to side without feeling pain. The muscles and ligaments that connect your neck to your shoulders are not flexible enough to allow this flexibility. This is because your neck is often in a rounded position while sitting. To relieve neck pain, you will want to take steps to stretch your neck.
Top Neck Stretches and Exercises
Now that you know the reason for neck pain and how to get rid of it, it is time to find the best neck stretches and exercises. You may also incorporate cbd oil for pain upon doing these stretches for added relief. Check out this article to know more about this.If you have never done any neck stretching before, we recommend starting with these exercises to ensure your body is ready.
- Neck circles – This is a great stretch for relieving any tension in the front of your neck. While lying on your back, gently roll your head from side to side in small circles. Hold for a few seconds and relax before repeating.
- Neck rolls – Next, you will want to roll your head in small circular motions towards the opposite shoulder. You should make sure to roll slowly and gently.
- Shoulder rolls – Take the shoulder rolls one step further by rolling your shoulder towards your ear. Depending on where the pain is located in your neck, you may want to roll in different directions.
If you only stick to the neck stretches for 10 to 15 minutes each day, you will see great results. The following stretches are great for relieving any pain you may be feeling from a restricted neck.
- Chin tucks – Start by gently pulling your chin towards your chest with both hands. Release and repeat 10-15 times.
- Neck rolls – Another stretch that you can try is neck rolls. This one is similar to the shoulder roll but rolls your head in the opposite direction.
- Side stretches – There are several great side stretches you can try. The best one is an outstretched arm and leg stretch. Do this stretch for 15-30 seconds for both sides.
Neck Exercise Tips
If you are looking for more specific neck exercises you can try, we have some great tips for you. Make sure that you have a warm-up before starting any neck exercises. This will help you get your blood circulating and ready your body for the workout. Next, pay attention to the form of your exercises. If you are only trying to stretch your neck, your form may not be correct. This can cause more harm than good. Finally, make sure to do a neck exercise routine 2-3 times a week. At least 20 minutes of neck stretching is necessary to see the results you are looking for.
Stretching your neck is a great way to keep your entire body healthy. The above exercises will help you keep fit and relieve pain. But consistency is what will give you results. You can book regular exercises with reputable Physical Therapy Phoenix professionals. They will guide you on the best approach for a faster and lasting solution.